The Kenyan team welcomes one or two general volunteers at a time, willing to put their hand to whatever is needed. In addition, the team is also looking for specific capacity in the following areas:
- ‘Handyman’ or building skills, including carpentry, cement work, electrical installation and vehicle mechanics
- Artistic ability: sketching wildlife and illustrating books / environmental education material
- GIS and mapping experience
- Graphic design: for a range of projects – e.g. website, brochures, books and training materials
- Computer literacy: especially Excel, for data management
Volunteers would usually come for a period of 4-12 weeks and would be based at the field study centre, Mwamba, on the coast at Watamu.
Costs: approximately $45 US per day for guests and $20 US per day for volunteers, including all three meals.
To apply, please fill out our volunteer application form. For more details about volunteering, download our A Rocha Kenya International Volunteer Handbook.
Note: the security advice for the Kenyan coast has been in flux. Please check with your travel insurance provider to confirm cover and read the current travel advice issued by your country – e.g. British Foreign Commonwealth Office travel advice at www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/kenya. Any decision to travel is the responsibility of the traveller.